Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Thank you, W.E. Schott III

Our blog master has returned from Paris. He has magically survived the two week depressive onslaught of La Defense. SDG, because Shell certainly didn't help. And another small miracle took place, a veritable mystical experience if you ask me. Before Wes left I had suggested to him that he visit the St. Sulpice church. Never thinking that he would listen - after all not listening to each other has always been the corner stone of our successful professional relationship and friendship. But this time he not only listened and visited St. Sulpice. And he also brought me back a bag full of precious little goodies from one of my favorite places in Paris.

Why is it so special to me? The church houses amongst others the greatest organ ever built by organ builder and engineer par-excellence Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. There's some interesting history here and if you express interest in it I'll be happy to add it to this posting. Unfornately Wes didn't hear the instrument, so here's a small intro clip to make up for that - over the years I've climbed those stairs to the organ loft more than half a dozen times. With a very big thank you to Wes for making me a very happy man!!! There now, that wasn't hard at all, was it? To make me happy, I mean. :):):):):)

3 comments:

  1. I would be interested in hearing more about the history of this organ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, but then I'd like to put it in some proper and broader historical context. I will publish it in the form of a couple of numbered postings during the next few weeks. Postings are also easier if I want to include illustrations, links or whatever. Will be fun. Certainly for me. Also for you, I hope.

    ReplyDelete