Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Night Jazz (002)

Ah yes. Keith Jarrett, one of the best piano improvisationists of the modern era. Here he is in 1967, some 43 years ago. I hear some lines in there that I heard when I first started listening to him around 1977 when I was in Boston. I saw him live only once at the Berklee College of Music.


On this piece, what I find most interesting is Keith's improvised interplay during Jan Gabarek sax solo. Kind of of a Gospel sound to it, but, really based in the blues - call and response. Sweet.


...and, I found this real treat...





...there are at least 6 parts to this, just search YouTube

Hope y'all enjoy...

3 comments:

  1. Twice at the North Sea Jazz Festival. Jarrett is ... Jarrett. Unforgettable.

    Jan Gabarek: "In 1993, during the Gregorian chant craze, his album Officium, a collaboration with early music vocal performers the Hilliard Ensemble, became one of ECM's biggest-selling albums of all time, reaching the pop charts in several European countries ...". Cool CD, sort of a fusion of plain chant, baroque and jazz, try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes, jazz is so sublime. I listened to Miles Davis while skiing today. In the early-mid 60s I spent a lot of time (way too much time) in the Village listening to Thelonious Monk and Bill Evans and Coltrane and others. What a life.

    ReplyDelete