Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Bach and Jarrett: Origins of Jazz?

Music. We (I) can analyze it to death. Fact is it plays a key role in countless people's lifes. Apparently it affects our mood ... I'll spare you the studied musicological references. A bunch of years ago I read about a survey where they asked what someone would prefer to lose, given the choice: vision or hearing. A majority of respondents opted for blindness. Can we even begin to imagine what it must have been like to be Beethoven and yet to pull off what he did?

Musicians are human and hence influenced by others, even if they're not aware of it. There are distinct fugatic elements and counterpoint in several Lennon/McCartney compositions even though they had no clue what a fugue or counterpoint is about (the "fifth" Beatle, George Martin, did). But I'm sure they must have heard one some day while wandering through the streets of Liverpool. And they were very eager learners - wisdom through curiosity!

Origins of jazz. Listen to Keith Jarrett playing Bach's WTC, one of the summits of counterpoint and fugue. Is it just me or do I hear jazz because it's Keith Jarret? Or do I hear jolly Bach hinting at what can be accomplished in the future if only we use Bach's or our own jazzy imagination? Or do I hear the same Bach that 19th century slaves in New Orleans undoubtedly must have heard while walking through and working in the French Quarters, someone playing Bach on the piano with the windows open. I ALWAYS hear it while strolling through the Quarters: Bach, Mozart, jazz and whatever sounds are coming from many houses. All you have to do is listen. One delicious melting pot.

In the final analysis no analysis matters. All that matters is that I like what I'm hearing. And that you like what you're hearing. I hope you do. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I love it. Elegantly simple structure.
    I also just listened to Jarrett play Bach's Goldberg variations.
    Whats cool is on our blog you can play several recordings simultaneously.
    An analogy can be made to Phillip Glass and the minimalist structure creating a Zen like state.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imbwn6iVryQ

    FE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing simple about these structures. But that's intelligent design: make it look or sound simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "anyone can make the simple complicated, creativity (or genius) is making the complicated simple" charles mingus

    sometimes quoted as creativity...

    sometimes quote as genius

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of our quest to reduce the art of intelligent floating systems down to something that fits on the litteral back of an envelope. Your Ormen Lange system selection white paper! No computer, just plain vanilla Archimedes. And a little bit of reasoning.

    Ah, remember the good old days when we used to blog without a computer? :-(

    ReplyDelete