Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

F1 and Cycling

With Paris-Nice underway and Bahrain weekend...i'm about to become a happy camper...FNJ! - y'all will get there soon enough...ah, heading home in the AM :-)



Eric Dolphy (flute) was a really interesting fellow.  "Talked" to the birds with his flute.  Although this is Coltrane's signature tune...I had not listened to Eric in a while.  Maybe I should find a video of his "Out to Lunch" recording...

These guys look so young in  - 1961 in Baden-Baden Germany John Coltrane - soprano sax, tenor sax Eric Dolphy - flute, alto sax McCoy Tyner - piano Reggie Workman - bass Elvin Jones - drums

"Eric Allan Dolphy (June 20, 1928 – June 29, 1964) was an American jazz alto saxophonistflautist, and bass clarinetist. Dolphy was one of several groundbreaking jazz alto players to rise to prominence in the 1960s. He was also the first important bass clarinet soloist in jazz, and among the earliest significant flute soloists. His improvisational style was characterized by the use of wide intervals based largely on the twelve tone scale, in addition to using an array of extended techniques to reproduce human- and animal-like effects which almost literally made his instruments speak. Although Dolphy's work is sometimes classified as free jazz, his compositions and solos were often rooted in conventional (if highly abstracted) tonal bebop harmony."

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you guys know so much about jazz. I have a lot of this stuff on my Ipod, Miles & Coltrane & Adderley & Bird Parker and Gillespie and Evans and Monk etc, even back to Benny Goodman, and in the summer I ride my mountain bike in the national forest and often listen to these guys. I have the forest to myself, I have never seen another rider up there. Just me and my bike and the music.

    ReplyDelete