Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Jazz?

Deliciously off-topic, irrelevant and too provocative? You decide. So what(!) if it's jazz or not. Said a Viennese contemporary of Freud: Oedipus, Schmoedipus, so what as long as the boy loves his mother?!

Beethoven always - but especially in his late piano sonatas and string quartets - ventured bigtime into the realm of the hungry ghosts. An ultimate pleaser, or had he turned ghost himself? Deafening madness, or early jazz? Are we watching Pollini playing Beethoven, or is it Keith Jarrett improvising as I've seen and heard him several times at the North Sea Jazz festival? Watch and listen to "the aloneness within us made manifest":



I know, I know, time to repent. So here's one of my many "real" jazz favorites:

6 comments:

  1. nice post, Job...

    hope yo areur planning something special for tomorrow monring...

    Sunday Morning Classics (SN-001)

    -------------------

    Keith Jarrett, as I think you know, is one of my all time favs...I found a really old live video of him as a very young man and really improvising freely. I'll try to post it and schedule it for release for next weeks Friday Night Jazz session. And, are you familiar with the Bremen - Lausanne concerts? On one song he gets so into it that he starts plucking the piano strings directly with his own fingers bypassing the keys all together, really creative stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have something planned for tomorrow morning. For you, in Paris. Attend 10 am Mass at the Saint Sulpice (ignore all the da Vinci Code addicts). Afterwards you can climb the stairs to the organ loft and watch Daniel Roth give a spectacular demo of the Aristide Cavaille-Coll organ, a World Heritage marvel of ingeneous engineering. See www.stsulpice.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus, while at it: it's about time that you do some repenting ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...another good idea, St. Sulpice, that is, not repenting...

    but, alas that will have to be one of next weekends treats...

    Looking forward to your selection(s) for Sunday Morning Classics ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. “No friend have I. I must live by myself alone; but I know well that God is nearer to me than others in my art, so I will walk fearlessly with Him.”

    Ludwig van Beethoven quotes (German Composer the predominant musical figure in the transitional period between the Classical and Romantic era. 1770-1827)

    Perhaps Ludwig's walk did not take him to the Crossroads?

    ReplyDelete