Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Hungry Ghost


Job and I had a nice lunch yesterday at the Stag’s Head and I mentioned a concept that I had just heard on a Democracy Now interview between Amy Goodman and Dr Gabor Mate. It is quite old but new to me. Gabor has used the concept in the title of his book and he explains…..

AMY GOODMAN: What does the title of your book mean, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts?

DR. GABOR MATÉ: Well, it’s a Buddhist phrase. In the Buddhists’ psychology, there are a number of realms that human beings cycle through, all of us. One is the human realm, which is our ordinary selves. The hell realm is that of unbearable rage, fear, you know, these emotions that are difficult to handle. The animal realm is our instincts and our id and our passions.
Now, the hungry ghost realm, the creatures in it are depicted as people with large empty bellies, small mouths and scrawny thin necks. They can never get enough satisfaction. They can never fill their bellies. They’re always hungry, always empty, always seeking it from the outside. That speaks to a part of us that I have and everybody in our society has, where we want satisfaction from the outside, where we’re empty, where we want to be soothed by something in the short term, but we can never feel that or fulfill that insatiety from the outside. The addicts are in that realm all the time. Most of us are in that realm some of the time. And my point really is, is that there’s no clear distinction between the identified addict and the rest of us. There’s just a continuum in which we all may be found.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, Stephen. Wonderful food for thought. And spot on. I confess: I'm an identified addict, a pleaser of the hungry ghost realm.

    Allow me to top it up with one of my favorite quotes:

    "Truly accepting love, forgiveness and healing is often much harder than giving it. It is the place beyond earning, deserving and rewarding. It is the place of surrender and complete trust."

    From: Henri Nouwen: "Rembrandt's Return of the Prodigal Son - A Story of Homecoming".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the reference to surrender and complete trust.
    In Zen this is referred to as seeking balance with all things.

    "We embrace the true emptiness of self, which affirms the inherent fullness and oneness of everything. This is true balance. However, we are unable to see the truth of the oneness of all things because we are clinging to the illusion of self.

    Let me paraphrase Dogen Zenji
    "To study Buddhism is to study the self.
    To study the self is to come to know the self.
    To come to know the self is to forget the self.
    To forget the self is to be at one with all things."

    Ponder this grasshopper.
    FE
    What happened to the political orientation that Wes initiated on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. House would say: "How cool is that?!". You're talking (BTW) to someone who has a very "unhealthy" bipolar disorder ... Hence my natural interest in some of these subjects.

    Did Wes initiate political orientation on this blog? Missed that one. Probably because an essential ingredient of our successful friendship is that Wes and I agreed a long time ago to never listen to each other. :-)

    I guess I was operating on the assumption that we are still in the exploratory phase. I'll shut down for now while awaiting guidance from the blogmaster and y'all on where you want to go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed that, too…

    My idea was to get together a few friends whom I appreciate their intelligence, knowledge, and insight and who I find to be entertaining and frequently articulate and to have an open forum – which may be off or on topic.

    And, yes I would view us as still in an exploratory phase. And now that Estragon has arrived, we are all here to commence the journey. Seems that all five of us know how to comment and post. So, let’s see how this evolves.

    Perhaps we could formalize certain activities such as taking turns M-F by starting the day off with a Post of the Day. And then we would comment about this post during the day and let the conversation flow where it flows. Perhaps we could have some traditions such as a Friday Night Jazz and a Sunday Morning Classical session.

    That is not to say, if something interesting comes up during the day that a new thread/Post could not be initiated by anyone, I mean what if Tiger breaks out of the sex addicts rehab does 23 cocktail waitress’s between Mississippi and Georgia on his way to Augusta to see if he could get into the Masters the day before the start, but falls asleep sexting on Ambien at the Augusta National parking lot? I mean, that would deserve a post upon such breaking news, wouldn’t it?

    enjoy…comment…post

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice post SCB,

    and...you know it is only a matter of time before i start referring to you as "Estrogen"

    ...btw, Job - beautiful quote, i can relate to that, and understand how you must relate, oh prodigal son

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a matter of fact its been a pretty shity day and I am feeling especially misanthropic tonight. So your 'innocent threat' to use an alternate choice of names isn't cheering me up, thank you very much. Excuse me, I think I hear another Hungry Ghost calling. I wonder if they would like the blue pill or the red pill?

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry, that was insensitive...

    i was only thinking of the play on words when i typed that...

    doesn't sound like things went well today - open mouth, walt, insert foot

    i am joining my bro' for lunch tomorrow, in your part of town - care to join us? going for burgers, maybe you have a recommendation of a restaurant?

    ReplyDelete