Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Play it again Sam - Ode to Bogie

Last week in my commentary regarding the Amstel Gold race, I mentioned that the 2004 finish had Michael Boogerd, probably the most popular Dutch cyclist at the time, in the biggest race in Holland, just beat out by a nose.  He started his sprint up the Cauberg ever so slightly too soon.

I was so jazzed by the finish that I wrote a poem about it and sent it to Job.  I said if I could find the old email I would post it.  Well that was not so easy since my email archive only went back to July of 2004, but I found it anyway.


-----Original Message-----
From: Wes Schott International
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 7:04 PM
To: Job Baar (BMCi); Bultema Marine
Subject: Play it again Sam - Ode to Bogie

Oh Michael, Oh Michael, how could you loose. 
You’ve disappointed 30 million pretty wood shoes.
Oh Michael, Oh Michael, it was so very close,
If you waited a meter you’d have won by a nose
Now The Caupberg she is a stubborn steep climb – one you’ve conquered at least a hundred times
Was it your ego or your athletic adrenalin high? - That let you believe your jump was not too far to die
So, Oh Michael, Oh Michael how could you loose. 
We love you, we love you, we really still do - all of us Dutchman with two wooden shoes


Wes Schott
W e s   S c h o t t   I n t e r n a t i o n a l
c o n s u l t i n g    o c e a n   e n g i n e e r
USA 281 704 2103



(15 MM Dutch = 30 MM shoes)

Since we are past the 48 hour Hanks news blackout period, I can say that Phillipe Gilbert had some great legs and hammered everybody on the Cauberg taking a great win for himself and the pride of Belgium - another true strong man of the Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment